Transform the humble button mushroom into a delicious appetiser, side or main with these easy recipes
Appetiser: Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms
You’ll find that this starter works equally well at a Sunday brunch and a cocktail party
20 button mushrooms, cleaned and destemmed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
5 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup chopped parsley
Salt, to taste
½ tsp crushed black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 190°C.
- Combine the cheese, butter, garlic, parsley, and pepper.
- Season each mushroom cap with salt and black pepper and stuff with the prepared garlic mixture.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms on a baking tray lined with parchment and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Side: Mushrooms with Balsamic Vinegar
An easy tangy side, this recipe for mushrooms with balsamic vinegar is a sophisticated addition to the table.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small spring onion bulbs, finely diced
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp butter (divided usage)
500 g button mushrooms, sliced 1/8-inch thick
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1½ tsp finely-chopped fresh rosemary (or thyme) leaves
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1½ tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high flame until it simmers.
- Add the spring onions and cook until they begin to soften and brown at the edges.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and stir until it melts. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, and rosemary or thyme and stir well. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the mushrooms have a rich brown color and begin to release their juices.
- Reduce the flame to medium, add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and tender and the liquid reduces in volume, thickens to the consistency of a thick syrup, and coats the mushrooms well.
- Add the remaining tablespoons of butter and stir constantly, allowing the butter to melt completely and coat the mushrooms, until they shine and the sauce is a bit lighter in colour. Serve immediately.
Main: Spaghetti with Mushrooms
We know this recipe for spaghetti with mushrooms is going to become a part of your easy dinner recipe repertoire
160g spaghetti (uncooked)
25 g butter
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Chilli flakes, a pinch
Juice of 1/2 lemon
40 g parmesan cheese, grated
Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Pepper, a pinch
- Cook the spaghetti and drain it, reserving a cup of the cooking water. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, thyme leaves, and chilli flakes, and cook for two to three minutes. Season well.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, lemon juice, parmesan, and parsley, and toss.
- Add the reserved cooking water spoon by spoon, just enough to make a light sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Images: Shutterstock | for representational purposes onlyAlso see: An easy avocado and aloo chaat